OVCATA Co-chair's report for 2017 - a lot accomplished in Year 1
October 4, 2017
OVCATA Co-chair's report
by Ish Theilheimer
OVCATA's first year was a big one. Here are some of our accomplishments. Since our launch, we have:
- signed up 185 members.
- successfully lobbied the Ontario government regarding upgrades to Highway 148, Highway 41 and Highway 17
- helped OVTA develop a Renfrew County bike map and helped sponsor it
- worked with Whitewater Region on plans to hard-shoulder roads in the municipality. Currently participating with Whitewater Region as active transportation representatives in the First Impressions Community Exchange (FICE) with partner community being the Town of Arnprior
- had representatives meet with other local municipal councils including Pembroke, Petawawa, Renfrew, North Algona, and Laurentian Valley
- organized or participated in rides and events in Barrys Bay, Eganville, Pembroke, Renfrew, and Westmeath including fund raising events like the Pembroke Rotary Ride for Kids and the Kim Armstrong Turkey Trot
- met with Renfrew County Council in March, 2017, and liaised on an ongoing basis with County staff regarding the 2017 capital works plan and proposed hardened shoulders. In response, the County's construction of hardened shoulders in 2017 constructed went well beyond expectation.
- launched a website that lists rides, routes and news about active transportation
- participated in meetings regarding the Algonquin Trail (former CP line) development
- sponsored the Silver Chain Challenge in 2017
- organized and got funding from MTO through its Road Safety Community Partnership Program for the Renfrew County Cycling Safety Outreach Project in 2017. Through it, we distributed thousands of safety bumper stickers and rack cards.
- took part in the Eastern Ontario Active Transportation Summit in Kemptville (2016) and Carleton Place (2017)
- entered into partnership with Discovery Routes, the North Bay-based organization spearheading the campaign for a cross-Canada cycling route passing through the Ottawa Valley
- worked with OPP on cycling safety promotion.
October 2017OPP to share bike collision stats at Renfrew OVCATA meeting
June 2017New provincial cycling funding could be used in Renfrew County - OVCATA
May 2017Help Sprocketman fly! Online cycling advocacy music video
April 2017RIDE OF SILENCE 2017
OVCATA thanks Renfrew County Council and asks for more commitment.
Voyageur Discovery Route Funding a big step toward trans-Canada cycle route.
Community Rides in communities across Renfrew County this spring
Silver Chain Challenge relaunches in June, 2017
Adopt a Road
December 2016New hardened shoulders in Renfrew County in 2016
The Algonquin Trail - tell municipal councillors you support it
OVCATA's vision for cycling in Ontario
November 2016Share the Road Cycling Coalition wants to hear from you
MTO Public Consultation on Cycling Program
September 2016Véloroute Voyageur / Voyageur Cycling Route would connect Northeastern Ontario
Alliance responds to Minister Del Duca, presses for public education
Petition for cyclists and hikers in national parks
Partial lane for cyclists on Hwy 17 west of Petawawa