2022 Co-chair's report
- Heroes Run for Healthcare May 15 Pembroke runners were accompanied by OVCATA cyclists
- Silver Chain Challenge during June bicycle month. This challenge was promoted thru County wardens and Thirteen counties were reportedly becoming involved. OVCATA held several cycle rides on Algonquin Trail during this event promoting the rides and having all participants sign our liability waiver.
- The Krista Johnson memorial Run for Change in Pembroke was held on June 12 with OVCATA cyclists accompanying the runners.
- Andy continues to provide recreational activities in McNab Braeside. Thanks Andy. McNab Braeside events were Wheels in White Lake, trail blazers, Fat bikes at Clay Bank, Dochart Trail night and Summer Solstice.
- Walk and Roll Safely on Algonquin Trail in Pembroke and Arnprior. Turnout was low.
- Of the three participating counties in the Silver Chain Challenge, Renfrew came out on top. A pending announcement was never publicized and the future of this challenge is unknown at this time.
- OVCATA is in discussions with a few supporters to determine the fate or revival of the Silver Chain Challenge for 2023.
Tour de Whitewater 2022 was a ride in memory of past very successful ride events that were held here. The 2022 ride was held on July 9 from the Westmeath arena saw 42 participants complete the Gore Bromley and the Gore Lookout rides. Following the rides participants were able to purchase sandwiches prepared by the Four H Club at the Arena. The future of the tour de Whitewater is uncertain and no has stepped forward to chair this event.
ALGONQUIN TRAIL TOWN RELAY August 20 cyclists began this ride on a very hot day from Petawawa with a great send off by Mayor Bob Sweet father of the Algonquin Trail travelling 100 km thru several supporting municipalities and ending late afternoon at Arnprior greeted by Mayor of Arnprior and Councillor Dan Lynch. The cyclists were accompanied by the RCATV Club who thankfully provided cool refreshments and first aid for the duration of the relay.
The relay team received much municipal support along the way as the gold painted railway spikes were presented at each municipality. Twenty cyclists were greeted by the Little Coffee Shop Main Street in Cobden along with Mayor Mike Moore, CAO Ivan Burton and CTV news.
Golden spikes were also presented to:
Mayor Bob Sweet, Reeve Debbie Robinson, Deputy Mayor Ron Gervais, Mayor Mike Moore, Reeve Peter Emon, Mayor of Arnprior and Councillor Dan Lynch.
Tour de Bonnechere August 28 was a successful event with 175 cyclists. Barbequed hotdogs hamburgers and refreshments were available for the participants at the finish. Bob Peltzer and Ron Moss provided and retrieved route signs as well as completing ride sweeps.
Tour de Poutine Sept 10 saw 30 cyclists ride the 24 km course and enjoy a free Poutine at Betty’s Chips on a nice bright sunny day.
OPERATING COSTS – We continue to retain liability coverage for operations, organized ride events and Bike Bank. We are very fortunate to have generous contributions from our members to help cover these costs. Liability costs are by far the biggest financial challenge for this group.
- Following our meetings with County staff regarding hardened shoulders for the 2022 construction season we are pleased to report hardened shoulders:
- Beachburg Rd from Beachburg urban section easterly past Little Lakes to the existing hardened shoulders
- Drive Inn Rd from Pembroke limits to Clearview Cr
- River Rd from Bonnechere R bridge easterly
City of Pembroke
- OVCATA provided a letter of support for City of Pembroke Infrastructure Canada Active Transportation funding application to construct trail heads at 4 locations in Pembroke. The trail heads would include information boards, sheltered seating bike racks and bike repair stations. No funding notice to date.
- Member Gerry Morris accompanied by Co-Chair Ron Moss appeared before council to present active transportation ideas suggested for the 2023 design stage for Albert Street.
- OVCATA team Dave Unrau, Gerry Morris and Ron Moss prepared application for MTO
- Funding under the Road Safety Community Partnership Program for a proposed Waterfront Development Active Transportation master plan in September. No funding notice to date.
- Hwy 148 GWP-214-00 detailed design review public session Nov 3.
- Design includes paved shoulders from Greenwood Rd to Drive Inn Rd. There are no allowances for bike lanes nor active transportation between Drive Inn Rd and Pembroke east limits. Sidewalks are proposed for both sides being the responsibility of the municipality
- OVCATA submitted correspondence with an ask to provide concrete sidewalk on the south side and paved active transportation pathway on the north side only.
DISCOVERY ROUTES TRAILS ORGANIZATION cycle counters
For the past five years OVCTA has set up and retrieved DRTO owned cycle counters in Petawawa and Braeside. As their budget has expired, I have been asked to hold onto them as they decide on what to do with them. The discussion was to sell them.
OVCATA recruitment and publicity set up at the following public events:
- Pembroke Expo May 13-14 and July 1 Canada Day at Pembroke marina
- White Lake Herb Festival Aug 6
- Tour de Whitewater remembered July 9
- Tour de Bonnechere Aug. 28, 2022
- Arnprior Recreation and Culture Fair Arnprior Saturday Sept 17 Nick Smith Centre
- Renfrew and area Chamber of Commerce Community Information Night Wed Sept 21at the Ma-te-way Activity Centre
February 2023OVCATA receives 2022 community service award
January 20232022 Bike Bank report
2022 Co-chair's report
June 2022OVCATA Opens Bike Bank Renfrew County for 2022
May 2022County of Renfrew and OVCATA celebrate expansion of cycling networks
Silver Chain Challenge is back - enter and log your klicks in June
February 2022OVCATA and MPP John Yakabuski support road safety education and enforcement
November 2021Volunteers send bikes to Cuba from Eastern Ontario, with sweat and love
July 2021Bike Bank reaches 100-bike milestone
November 2020County municipal leaders and staff hear how Petawawa is becoming a Bicycle-Friendly Community "one bite at a time"
October 2020Fall is a great time for cycling in the Ottawa Valley.
Petawawa Bike-Friendly Communities champion to speak to OVCATA AGM
May 2020Algonquin Trail Report - May 2020
Citizens partner with County and OPP to make trails work for all despite pandemic - OVCATA
December 2019Active Transportation is growing in the Ottawa Valley
October 2019OVCATA launches municipal outreach campaign
August 2019OVCATA salutes Tour de Whitewater success, setting records for participation, activity
June 2019The Ottawa Valley is a cycling paradise
April 2019Renfrew County Council to lead on Active Transportation Month activities in June
Gearheads donates elite E-bike for OVCATA raffle
Volunteering at OVCATA - there's a place for you
Highway 17 rumble strips could have fatal consequences - OVCATA
2018 a big year for Active Transportation in Ottawa Valley
October 2018OVCATA meets with Ontario's new transportation minister - our own MPP John Yakabuski
June 2018OVCATA promotes active transportation for seniors with provincial support
March 2018Join OVCATA - Win A Bike
December 2017Local cycle routes win big with December provincial funding!
Education is key to bike collision prevention - OPP Sergeant
October 2017OPP to share bike collision stats at Renfrew OVCATA meeting
OVCATA Co-chair's report for 2017 - a lot accomplished in Year 1
June 2017New provincial cycling funding could be used in Renfrew County - OVCATA
May 2017Help Sprocketman fly! Online cycling advocacy music video
April 2017RIDE OF SILENCE 2017
OVCATA thanks Renfrew County Council and asks for more commitment.
Voyageur Discovery Route Funding a big step toward trans-Canada cycle route.
Community Rides in communities across Renfrew County this spring
Silver Chain Challenge relaunches in June, 2017
Adopt a Road
December 2016New hardened shoulders in Renfrew County in 2016
The Algonquin Trail - tell municipal councillors you support it
OVCATA's vision for cycling in Ontario
November 2016Share the Road Cycling Coalition wants to hear from you
MTO Public Consultation on Cycling Program
October 2016Véloroute Voyageur / Voyageur Cycling Route would connect Northeastern Ontario
September 2016Alliance responds to Minister Del Duca, presses for public education
Petition for cyclists and hikers in national parks
Partial lane for cyclists on Hwy 17 west of Petawawa